Saturday, February 14, 2015

Re-evaluating transparency: grade changed to B+

In my last post, I went to some length criticizing the union's website and expressing my view that the union is not as transparent as it should be.  There are still some issues with the website and, in my opinion, with the union's overall transparency and outreach to members.

That said, it has been a while since I've looked at the union's Facebook feed.  One thing I've noticed is that the union posted there its response to Mr. Rauner's recent executive order on public employee "fair share" dues.  In my last post, I had explicitly criticized the union for not making that statement public.  I therefore must retract that criticism.

I will add, however, that the Facebook feed doesn't seem to announce new meetings, post minutes of meetings, or mention some of the problems with working conditions that I am aware of.  For the latter, it's possibly the case that not publicizing those problems might be a wise thing.

Still, in focusing only on the website, I failed to look at the other ways the UICUF tries to keep its members informed.  (It also, by the way, has a Twitter account.)


No comments:

Post a Comment